What’s The Difference Between WordPress.com & WordPress.org
Both websites were created by Matt Mullenweg. First, he created WordPress.org to be an open source platform. Then, he created WordPress.com to be his actual business.
- WordPress.com 01:50
- This is a hosted platform. It’s an all-in-one solution that is really meant for blogging.
- It has a lot of features, but it’s limited because you do not control the website.
- You do not have the control to add custom code or upload your own theme and you can’t sell online products.
- However, you get built-in maintenance and security. It’s great hosting and it’s very secure.
- WordPress.org 04:00
- A free repository where a user is able to download and use the software at will.
- You use this on your own hosted environment.
- You can pretty much customize the site to do whatever you want.
- The downside of this is that you have to have more knowledge and be responsible for managing your own site.
- Though you can use a service such as WPEngine to do all of this for you.
The bottom line is… if you plan to keep this website as a hobby, then WordPress.com is a great option for you. If you ever plan to monetize your website, use WordPress.org.
For more information on this topic, check out this post from Aspen Grove Studios.
Did you Enjoy this Episode?
- Will you consider sharing it online? Just click one of the share buttons below!
- Will you leave us a review? 🙂
- Have a question, or a topic request? Let us know in the comments below!