What to Do When Your Client Won’t Pay
- Take the high road 01:04
- We talked about this in Episode 254.
- Sometimes it is just easier to take the high road and do whatever you need to do to end the relationship in the best way.
- If your client won’t pay a hosting bill for example, you can help them set up a new account under their own name and migrate the website for them. Then, the hosting isn’t in your hands.
- It’s not worth the emotional stress of dealing with this type of client.
- Of course, it also depends on the amount that you’re dealing with. A $50 fee vs. a $5,000 fee is a big difference.
- This route would be for more of the lower cost projects, or situations that are causing you so much stress that you just want out.
- Pursue legal action 02:19
- If you have completed a lot of work for a client and then can’t get paid, or the client ends the project and refuses to pay, etc, then you might have to pursue legal action.
- Think a lot about this before you go through with it because it could make your situation much more stressful.
- We recommend this as the absolute last resort. Remember that lawsuits are time consuming and expensive.
- You never know what is happening in someone’s life 05:49
- The immediate reaction when a client won’t pay is that they are trying to screw you. That’s not always the case.
- If it is a new client and they aren’t paying, you might handle it differently than say a longstanding client who is getting behind on payments.
Thanks for listening to another episode of WP the Podcast!
If you’ve been listening to the podcast for awhile and you’ve found value out of it, we would love if you would leave us a review on iTunes! The more reviews we get for the podcast, the easier it will be for other people to discover us on iTunes. Thanks so much and see you tomorrow for another episode of WP the Podcast.
Did you Enjoy this Episode?
- Will you consider sharing it online? Just click one of the share buttons below!
- Will you leave us a review? 🙂
- Have a question, or a topic request? Let us know in the comments below!