What is SSL and Why You Need it for Your WordPress Website
- What is it? 00:52
- SSL stands for Secure Socket Layer and basically it’s a technology that encrypts the data between your website and the visitor’s browser.
- From the visitor standpoint, they see https in their URL bar, instead of http.
- Depending on the browser and depending on the level of the the SSL certificate, you might see a green bar or a green lock. Typically, there’s some visual to show that the site has additional security.
- It’s crucial for accepting sensitive information 02:03
- If your website is collecting payment or personal information, you need to have it.
- So for example, if you are an e-commerce site collecting credit card information, your website should have an SSL certificate.
- It’s becoming standard for all websites 03:43
- It’s very easy to get for your website and it helps to build trust with your customers, so you might as well get it.
- Regardless of personal information, users have become so afraid of hackers on the internet that they can be afraid to visit websites that don’t have additional security.
- We will have an upcoming episode that goes into more depth on how to get an SSL.
- Google favors sites with SSL 04:48
- In this last 12-18 months, Google added SSL as part of their ranking algorithm.
- So if you have it, your site is going to rank better.
- You can bet that your competitors have it, so you should to!
Did you Enjoy this Episode?
- Will you consider sharing it online? Just click one of the share buttons below!
- Will you leave us a review? 🙂
- Have a question, or a topic request? Let us know in the comments below!
Want to Connect with David & Tim?