Shared Hosting vs VPS
- Shared: It’s cheaper 02:04
- It’s significantly cheaper to share hosting.
- If you’re a small business owner and you just need a small web presence, shared hosting could be good for you.
- Shared: More opportunities for problems 03:05
- If you have an e-commerce store, or other type of involved website, you should stay away from shared hosting.
- Shared hosting can result in problems like your email being blacklisted. There are hundreds of people sharing the same servers and if one person does something bad, everyone will suffer.
- Another problem is that you are sharing resources and that can significantly slow down your website.
- Not all sharing is created equal. WPEngine has shared hosting, but you don’t have many of the downsides above.
- VPS: More resources 06:31
- VPS is a dedicated environment, so you have the benefits of a dedicated server.
- With VPS you won’t have to worry about other email accounts blacklisting your IP address or high traffic websites taking up your resources.
- This article from WPMU DEV talks about this more in detail.
Thanks for listening to another episode of WP the Podcast!
If you’ve been listening to the podcast for awhile and you’ve found value out of it, we would love if you would leave us a review on iTunes! The more reviews we get for the podcast, the easier it will be for other people to discover us on iTunes. Thanks so much and see you tomorrow for another episode of WP the Podcast.
Did you Enjoy this Episode?
- Will you consider sharing it online? Just click one of the share buttons below!
- Will you leave us a review? 🙂
- Have a question, or a topic request? Let us know in the comments below!