How Often Should I Refresh/Redesign My Website?
This is something that will come up often for your own website and also for client websites. It’s important to keep up with design and functionality trends in the web design space. We will give you our recommendations for how often to update sites based on the type.
- Before you commit to a redesign 03:33
- Make sure you have an SEO retention policy in place. If you are going to change any page names, be sure to set up the correct 301 redirects so you don’t lose any SEO value with your redesign.
- Brochure websites 04:23
- A lot of mom and pop type small businesses don’t update their websites very often. They don’t send many leads to the website and it’s not necessary to update it as often.
- With these sites, you want to follow changes in the industry. If big changes in web design happen every 5 years, then you need to update your website every 5 years.
- You may need small updates in between this, but usually not a whole redesign.
- Another thing to consider is that Millennials are getting into their prime age for purchasing power and may be one of your largest markets. With any of these types of websites, you need to make sure that your website is appealing to them, which means that it is mobile friendly and up to date on design trends. If a millennial does not like your website, they will most likely not visit your establishment or use your services.
- E-commerce 06:46
- This is the site that you will probably update the most.
- With e-commerce, your website is a sales driver. It needs to be easy to use, visually appealing, and secure.
- You’ll want to refresh/redesign your website every 1-2 years to stay up-to-date.
- If you have any kind of ad/sales copy on your website, you’ll want to refresh this periodically too.
- Content site 08:15
- If you are a blogger and you are driving a lot of traffic to your website, you’ll probably want to refresh every couple years.
- Since you are adding new content, it gives the appearance that you are updating the site already, so you don’t have to do a whole redesign as often.
- Portfolio 09:00
- This applies to your own portfolio and also to portfolios that you create for others.
- You should refresh/redesign a portfolio website every 1-2 years and it should include your latest projects.
- You want this to be updated often because a portfolio website is a sales tool. It should look current, professional, and highlight the individual’s best work.
- So what’s the real answer? 10:30
- Ultimately, you can refresh/redesign your websites as often as you want to!
- These are just guidelines that we go by and recommend to clients.
- Shout out to our Divi Business Expert course! 10:51
- The course officially launches on Wednesday, August 1st!
- We are super excited to kick off this course. We have over 100 students signed up so far, who are ready to take their business to the next level.
- If you want to join us, head over to WP Gears to sign up!
Thanks for listening to another episode of WP the Podcast!
If you’ve been listening to the podcast for awhile and you’ve found value out of it, we would love if you would leave us a review on iTunes! The more reviews we get for the podcast, the easier it will be for other people to discover us on iTunes. Thanks so much and see you tomorrow for another episode of WP the Podcast.
Did you Enjoy this Episode?
- Will you consider sharing it online? Just click one of the share buttons below!
- Will you leave us a review? 🙂
- Have a question, or a topic request? Let us know in the comments below!