WordPress User Roles and How To Use Them
- Admin 01:02
- Admin has full control over everything.
- Admins can install plugins, tweak content, create users, delete users, and more.
- If you make someone else an Admin on your site, then they have all the same user privileges as you do (and could potentially delete you from the site!)
- Editor 03:50
- This is the second highest user role.
- When you think of the Editor user role, think content.
- They can do anything relating to content, publish, managing comments, etc.
- Author 03:15
- Authors can edit their own content, but not anyone else’s.
- They can create content, edit content, publish, and delete their own content.
- Authors can also upload media.
- Contributor 04:11
- Contributors can edit their own content, but not publish or upload media.
- We actually talked about this topic recently in Episode 334 about how to let contributors upload media.
- Other roles 05:08
- Other plugins will add additional roles in certain cases.
- Plugins like Easy Digital Downloads or WooCommerce will add additional roles to help with commerce support.
- Learn more about your user roles 06:21
- You can read all about the WordPress user roles in the Codex.
- If you want to test out someone’s permissions, you can use the plugin User Switching.
Thanks for listening to another episode of WP the Podcast!
If you’ve been listening to the podcast for awhile and you’ve found value out of it, we would love if you would leave us a review on iTunes! The more reviews we get for the podcast, the easier it will be for other people to discover us on iTunes. Thanks so much and see you tomorrow for another episode of WP the Podcast.
Did you Enjoy this Episode?
- Will you consider sharing it online? Just click one of the share buttons below!
- Will you leave us a review? 🙂
- Have a question, or a topic request? Let us know in the comments below!