Beginner Series Part 6 – How to Properly Use the WordPress Plugin and Theme Code Editors
- Where do you use the WordPress plugin and theme code editor? 00:46
- It is located in your dashboard under Appearance > Editor
- Never do this on live sites! 01:14
- Making updates on a live site is called “Cowboy Coding”. You don’t want to do this.
- Just because WordPress has the option to edit this code, doesn’t mean you should use it!
- WordPress has made it harder to this is on your site, but it still can be done. We just don’t recommend it. You could easily break your website.
- Make a back up of files and use FTP 02:22
- A better way to make updates is to back up your files and make updates using FTP.
- You can learn more about FTP in episode 124.
- Keep the original file, original. Update the file, save it as a different name and upload that version. That way you have the original version as a back up.
- We highly recommend using child themes. You can learn more about this in episode 295.
- WP File Manager plugin 03:07
- This is an alternative to using FTP.
- You can easily manage your files and make changes.
Thanks for listening to another episode of WP the Podcast!
If you’ve been listening to the podcast for awhile and you’ve found value out of it, we would love if you would leave us a review on iTunes! The more reviews we get for the podcast, the easier it will be for other people to discover us on iTunes. Thanks so much and see you tomorrow for another episode of WP the Podcast.
Did you Enjoy this Episode?
- Will you consider sharing it online? Just click one of the share buttons below!
- Will you leave us a review? 🙂
- Have a question, or a topic request? Let us know in the comments below!