How Properly Set Up SSL on Your Website
- Buy an SSL or use a free one 02:20
- You can get a free SSL from Let’s Encrypt or Cloudflare.
- If you have an ecommerce website and you want an extra level of trust with your customers, you can purchase a SSL certificate from a company like Comodo.
- The company will verify your identity and then you can display this certificate on your website.
- Change the domain in WordPress 04:01
- Once you have the SSL installed on your website, you want to change your website name in the settings from http to https.
- This will help pull your files in correctly.
- Force SSL by redirecting http to https 05:30
- Sometimes even when you have an SSL installed and have updated the website name, you might still have some links directing to the http version of your website.
- You can use forced SSL plugins, or make updates in Cloudflare or WP Engine.
- Fix insecure content warnings 06:28
- We discussed how to fix this error in Episode 223.
Thanks for listening to another episode of WP the Podcast!
If you’ve been listening to the podcast for awhile and you’ve found value out of it, we would love if you would leave us a review on iTunes! The more reviews we get for the podcast, the easier it will be for other people to discover us on iTunes. Thanks so much and see you tomorrow for another episode of WP the Podcast.
Did you Enjoy this Episode?
- Will you consider sharing it online? Just click one of the share buttons below!
- Will you leave us a review? 🙂
- Have a question, or a topic request? Let us know in the comments below!